Thursday, January 28, 2010

mail

Today the final edition of our local paper came in the mail. I was so disappointed when I heard that the paper was closing, I wrote a letter to the editor, which was published today:
I am truly saddened to learn that the newspaper is closing. Thank you for all your work and dedication in providing accurate and thorough news, as well as insightful--and sometimes provocative--commentary.

When my husband and I moved here, we were thrilled to discover, upon arrival, that the local paper was thoughtful, comprehensive, and most importantly, widely read. One of the first conversations I had with a neighbor was about the significance of the paper. It has been a weekly source of joy for me, a place where I can keep up with what’s going on in my local community. Indeed, as we have only lived here for two years, the paper itself has helped develop for my family a sense of community. It will be sorely missed.

Though I’ve often wanted to, I’ve never written a letter to the editor before. It feels almost inappropriate that the first time I feel truly compelled to do so is when the paper is closing, as if it's a lesson for me to be more appreciative of all that I have.

The other thing I got in the mail today was a summons for jury duty. This is the first time I’ve ever been called to serve on a jury--is that unusual? Perhaps it’s because we’ve moved around so much? At any rate, I don’t mind, though I will probably still try to postpone until the summer when it won’t interrupt teaching.

It was snowing today and as a result (no bus) I had to pick j up from school. He’s had a few behavioral incidents in the past few weeks. His teacher explained this, and then, seeing what was likely a pained expression on my face, was quick to say that he’s been doing well for most of the day, just that some days are better than others. Today had a bright moment. According to her, when they began their daily yoga session, j insisted that he lead the class. And did. My son the yoga instructor. Nice.

No comments: