
I received a fascinating email today from a co-worker with images from Hungry Planet: What the World Eats by Peter Menzel. If you haven't seen it, some of the images from this email can be found here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5005952
Apparently, this story ran in November of 2005, so I'm more than a little behind on my reading.
P and I were most interested in--but not surprised by--the amount of processed foods found on the American photo, especially compared to the other countries.
I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle a few months back, which was an inspiring read. So I'll have to add Hungry Planet to my to-read list for this summer, in addition to In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, which I recently discovered but have not yet read. Any other recommendations for my food reading list?
2 comments:
I LOVE Hungry Planet. We can bring it this summer . . . . You should check out Menzel's other stuff - Material World and Women in the Material World (not the actual titles, I think).
I'm sure Flannery has 67 good food book recommenations for you.
-erica
Just did a little searching. Oh, wow: where have I been? His stuff looks amazing. I will be ordering these from the library as soon as I get all these papers graded...
Thanks!
Post a Comment