Friday, May 23, 2008

musical stylings

j has developed a hankerin’ for the breakfast cereal I’ve been eating lately--Kashi GoLean, “a lightly sweetened mix of crunchy fiber twigs, crispy soy protein grahams, and honey-toasted 7 Whole Grains and Sesame Puffs.” Why he likes this stuff I don’t know. I barely like it myself--I eat it mostly for the extra protein. The first few times he ate it, I composed a little ditty:
I like the Kashi, yo;
I’ll never let it go
I like the Kashi, yo;
I’ll never let it go


Mistake. Now we can’t get him to stop singing it at the kitchen table, even when he’s not eating Kashi. Sometimes I can get him to substitute “apple” or “pasta” for “Kashi” when he's eating those things, but then he’ll just start singing about liking the Kashi, yo, and how he’ll never let it go. Then, when eating something else, he remembers how much he likes that Kashi, yo, and he wants to eat Kashi instead of whatever he's eating. Then he’s all like Kashi, please and I’m all like But you’ve had 2 bowls of Kashi already today and it’s not a good scene.

So I guess “I Like the Kashi, Yo” will go down with the other family-created hit songs of j’s youth, which include:


1. “His Name is [baby-j], and He’s a Baby” (sung to the tune of Copacabana),
2. “You Gotta Go Get the Duckies,” which is not to be confused with
3. “You Give Me Duckies,”
4. “Gettin’ in Your Business (A-Business!),” and
5. “Heat Up the Mommy Juice” (his cousin's response to hearing my mom sing this one as she prepared a bottle of my pumped labors? “That’s not mommy juice; that’s milk!”).

No comments: