On Facebook, where I’ve been spending far too much recreational time lately, there’s this whole “list 25 random things about yourself” thing going on. After having been “tagged,” I started to compose my 25 things, only to realize that I have too many Facebook friends and co-workers on there to feel comfortable sharing the 25 random things actually on Facebook. So I’m posting it here, where fewer people read. I’m sure that I will re-read this in a few years and be horrified, but it was an interesting exercise. Here goes.1. Until recently, I wore the same pair of black boots to work every day. Now I alternate between two different pairs of black boots.
2. I sang in an all-women a cappella group for a few years (2003-2005), and though it was stressful at times, I really miss it.
3. I hate talking on the telephone. I prefer to communicate in person, but if I can’t do that, I would much rather email--I’m more confident writing.
4. I dislike shopping. I don’t have anything against people who love shopping, but I do get really annoyed by people who assume that all women love shopping and therefore, I must love it too.
5. I take back what I said above if the store is Staples.
6. My favorite alcoholic drink is a vodka tonic with lemon. Or lime. I’m just liking lemon right now.
7. Most of my close friends when I was younger were men. Now most of my close friends are brilliant, talented women who inspire me to improve myself.
8. It took me ten years to finish my doctorate, and I'm glad it took that long. I needed the time.
9. Generational generalizations, especially about students (e.g., “Millennial students these days...”) piss me off.
10. Generalizations about people in general piss me off. I generalize myself but try to avoid doing so as much as I can. Maybe I just want to be more conscious of it.
11. My husband, son, and I were all born in different states (Michigan, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey, respectively).
12. One of my degrees as an undergrad was Musical Theatre and I did a lot of performing when I was younger. This sometimes surprises many people who know me now. The fact that I teach English sometimes surprises people who knew me then.
13. I think and talk about de-cluttering and simplifying a lot, but never get to purge as much crap from my house as I’d like.
14. I’m somewhat opposed to the idea of having a pet, but am willing to work on getting over this.
15. I am not willing to work on getting over my irrational fear of clowns.
16. I have a hard time understanding being absolutely convinced. This becomes an issue mostly when conversations turn towards organized religion, atheism, some kinds of feminism, and certain kinds of pedagogy.
17. I met my husband when I was 11 and he was 14, but we didn’t start dating until he randomly spotted me on the street when we were both in grad school.
18. I consider myself to be a pretty shy person.
19. I don’t like when people take themselves too seriously. I don’t like myself when I take myself too seriously. Unfortunately, this happens often.
20. I am a workaholic. My job sometimes drive me nuts, but I overall I love it.
21. I am a feminist who recognizes that there are many kinds of feminism.
22. I dig Ian McEwan, David Foster Wallace, Jonathan Safran Foer, Nancy Franklin, Jack Black, Tenacious D, and of course, P and j.
23. I had dyed-blonde hair until 7 years ago, and am thrilled that my natural brown hair is “back.” I imagine that I will have long gray hair as I get older. My hair is cooperating with this prophecy.
24. I agree with our President that The Wire is the best show on television. I also believe that Season 4 should be required viewing for educators and politicians.
25. If I believed in hell, I would also believe that there is a place in it reserved for the creator(s) of Bratz dolls.
No comments:
Post a Comment