Thursday, October 07, 2010

baby on the way


So now that I'm at 37 weeks, it's an ultrasound and a midwife check-up every week until I deliver this baby. I guess I don't mind it so much; it would just be easier if I didn't have to drive an hour each way to get to them. I've been doing this drive for so many months because these midwives are my best shot at a VBAC, so it's discouraging to even hear talk of a C-section... however, with the gestational diabetes, they've scheduled a C-section for 41 weeks just in case. The date for that would be November 2--election day--so P and I are applying for absentee ballots just in case. In fact, I insisted on it. I am hoping beyond hope that I can do a trial of labor before that date... and something about being really prepared in case of a C-section makes my mind think that maybe it won't happen.

I have some reason to be hopeful. The diabetes is under control, and the ultrasounds have all looked great in terms of fluid levels. Next week we'll get another growth scan to see how big the baby is (the primary concern with gestational diabetes is that the baby will grow too big). The midwives don't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to have a good shot at a VBAC, and about 70% of women who attempt it are successful. I am trying to be optimistic, but also realistic, knowing that anything can happen.

One exciting thing was that I got a few shots of the baby's face via 3D ultraound, which I didn't get with j (clicking on the picture will make it a little larger). This new baby actually looks like j, which is crazy. He or she also looks pretty developed to me. Now that I'm full-term, he/she can come out whenever he/she wishes! (Preferably before November 2, ok, baby?) :)

3 comments:

michelle said...

Sounds like you're doing everything you can on this one. Good luck with the vbac. I had no idea just how difficult a c-section was until I had to go through it myself. I wasn't emotionally prepared for it, so at least you're sort of preparing yourself even though it would be better if you could avoid it. The important thing is for mom and baby to be healthy. You're in the home stretch now!

laj said...

((hug)) Yep, the C-section can be really hard. Sorry to hear that it was rough, but I am so happy to hear that you are both well--that is the most important thing. The pics on FB are gorgeous! You all must be thrilled.

Besides the emotional pain of having had a C-section, I remember the first few weeks were really difficult... I mean, it's recovering from major surgery! I couldn't even carry j for the first week or so and I hated feeling helpless. I wish you lots of rest (as much as is possible with the new little one!). You still have help there for a little bit longer, yes? Thinking of you... give me a call or email if you want to chat. xoxoxo

Elizabeth said...

Those are some awesomely chubby cheeks on that baby! Can't wait to squeeze her/him!